Unit-2 Current Electricity
Goals of study By studying this chapter, you will learn:
• The meaning of electric current, and how charges move in a conductor.
• What is meant by the resistivity and conductivity of a substance.
• How to calculate the resistance of a conductor from its dimensions and its resistivity.
• How an electromotive force (emf) makes it possible for current to flow in a circuit.
• How to do calculations involving energy and power in circuits.
• How to analyze circuits with multiple resistors in series or parallel.
• Rules that you can apply to any circuit with more than one loop.
• How to use meter bridge and potentiometer in a circuit.
Chapter-1 [Download pdf]
List of topics covered
- Electric Current its cause in Metals/ Flow of electrons in the conductors
- Drift Velocity, Relaxation time,Free Path (Derivation)
- Current Density
- Current Density in terms of Drift Velocity
- Relation between Current and Drift velocity
- Relation between current density and Relaxation time
- Important points about current density and expressions for conductivity and resistivity
- Definition of conductivity, Resistivity and Mobility
- Ohm’s Law
- Temperature dependence of Resistivity and resistance of metals
- Temperature Coefficient of Resistivity/Resistance
- Battery, Electromotive Force (EMF), Terminal Potential Difference, Internal Resistance of a cell
- Factors on which internal resistance depends, terminal potential difference and EMF depends
- Relation between terminal potential difference, EMF and internal resistance of a cell
- Color code of Resistance
- Resistance in Parallel and series
- Kirchhoff's laws
- Grouping of Cells, series and parallel
- Mixed grouping of cells
- Wheat stone Bridge
- Measurement of unknown Resistance by using Wheat Stone Bridge
- Meter Bridge
- Potentiometer and its applications
- Thermal effects of current
- Power consumed by group of Resistances
- Power Rating
- Efficiency of source of emf
- Power Transmission
Current Electricity - Study Material CBSE IITJEE NEET Reviewed by Dr H. Singh on March 25, 2020 Rating: